Have you ever wanted to learn how to play Chess? Do you already play chess and need to practice? Are you looking for some new opponents to challenge you?
Don’t know how to play chess, no problem! No experience is necessary! Beginners will learn the name of the pieces and how to move. Chess Club will teach children strategies to learn to plan ahead, to value their material and to distinguish good ideas from bad ones. They learn to see things from more than one point of view.
Chess teaches responsibility, discipline, and critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Chess players learn how to make the most of their opportunities and how to turn a bad situation to their advantage. They learn not to make excuses for their set-backs, and to win and lose graciously.
PTO Members will receive a $10 discount for Chess Club. Upon payment of your Annual PTO Membership, you will receive a $10 off coupon code in your PTO Invoice and/or The Scoop. Coupon codes must be applied to your Cart/Checkout to receive the discounted PTO Member price. You must pay your Annual Membership Dues FIRST to receive your coupon code and you must use the coupon code to receive the PTO Member price for Chess Club, no exceptions.
Chess Club – 2021 Fall Session
REGISTRATION FOR CHESS CLUB HAS CLOSED
Day/Time: Fridays from 3:45 – 5:15 pm
Location: Large Pod
Open to Grades: 2 – 6
Instructor: David Mehler, founder of the U.S. Chess Center
Dates: October 1 – January 28 (13 sessions) No class 10/29, 11/26, 12/24, 12/31 and 1/21.
PTO Members receive discounted price with coupon code.
Registration Closes: September 29 at 10PM
*You must also fill out a CHESS CLUB REGISTRATION FORM for EACH CHILD that will be participating. All emergency contact forms must be submitted prior to the start date or your child will not be permitted to participate in Chess Club.
Chess Club Information and Policies
Class Times, Dates, and Locations
- Chess Club will meet for 15 weeks unless otherwise indicated.
- Classes will be held on Fridays between 3:45 PM–5:15 PM.
- There are no classes on days that school is closed or afternoon classes when there is early dismissal. Classes skip weeks for holidays or school events.
- All aspects of class offerings (locations, fees, dates, times, grade requirements, maximum/minimum enrollment and/or instructors) are subject to change.
Registration and Payment
- Active Spring Hill PTO members will receive a $10 discount for registration. If you are not an active PTO member, you are encouraged to visit the Join the PTO page and and become a member prior to starting the online registration process. (Families must re-join the PTO each and every school year to be active members.)
- Chess Club registration is online only at the PTO Shop.
- You may NOT register your child for the class if he/she is not in the current grade required. Please be respectful of the teacher’s request on grade level.
- Children are not permitted to attend class without advance registration and payment. Any unregistered child who arrives for a class will be sent to the school office to wait for their parents.
- Once a class reaches maximum capacity, students may choose to be added to a wait list. Openings, if any, will be filled from the wait-list on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registrations after the start of Chess Club are considered late and will not be prorated.
Withdrawals and Refunds
- Please consider class choices carefully as refunds will NOT be given beyond the registration period.
- Requests to withdraw received prior to the close of the registration period will be refunded, minus a processing fee of $10.
- Requests to withdraw received after the close of registration will NOT be refunded.
- In the event that a class is cancelled for a particular day, we will do our best to offer a make-up class, however, a make-up class is not guaranteed.
- In the event of your child misses class on a day that the class is held, no make-up class will be offered.
- No refunds will be given for missed or cancelled classes.
Pick Up/Late Pick Up/Behavior
- Children MUST be picked up at the cafeteria after each class by their parents or other designated adult. Children will NOT be permitted to meet parents outside school or at kiss and ride or walk home from classes.
- Parents must send in a note to the child’s teacher, letting them know to dismiss the child to that specific activity and location.
- Parents must park in a legal parking spot while picking up their child(ren) and may not park or stand in the bus circle.
- Parents are responsible for ensuring their children are picked up on time from Chess Club each day.
- Children may be removed from participating in their class(es) and future participation may be denied if they exhibit persistent behavior problems before, during or after their classes.
- Please avoid early pick-up as this is a two-person’s game. If you need to pick up your student early please contact the instructor once you know.
If you have any questions on Chess Club, please contact email@example.com